Skip to main content

New Tools


A good friend of mine gave me a mixing trowel and a jointing trowel for my birthday last year, and I was eager to try them out. I put together some of the scaffolding for the roof to do some tests. 

It is interesting to find out how techniques are embedded in the shape of a tool. For instance, the thin jointing trowel has a fixed width of 1/8", written on the blade. I suppose masons would have a whole collection of different widths for different projects. It is not so intuitive to use on the variable-width joints I am dealing with. As well, it has a long, straight blade that does not accommodate the curves. I ended up using only the tip for most of the joints. Still, I found that it was useful because it is long and thin. I can use it to pack the mortar into the gaps.

Comments

Post a Comment