Skip to main content

Wall 1


During my first week here at Grymsdyke Farm, I was introduced to the work of Erwin Hauer. I was really captivated by the beauty of his repeating modules, especially the way light seems to bounce around within the thickness of the wall. His installations suppress any hint of materiality, but the same effect happens, for example, in Eladio Dieste's Cristo Obrero church, where it seems like the brick panels are always glowing with sunlight you never see directly. 
These two have been in my mind a lot as I have been designing my walls. I wanted to keep a sense of depth- in most brick walls, you only see one surface- a relief pattern and not a three-dimensional construction.



 One reason I like the colour of the fired clay here so much is that it really catches the sunlight well, especially in the predominantly green landscape.


Comments